Reading is a crucial skill that we embrace here at Harbor View Elementary. We encourage all of our students to read independently daily for pleasure. All of students are invited to check out books from the school library and enjoy a whole other world of entertainment.
Have an extraordinary year!
CHECK OUT GUIDELINES
Dear Parents and Students: To help maintain the efficiency of the library this year please read over the following guidelines.
- The library will be open Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 2:30pm except for Wednesday when it will close at 1:25pm.
- Students and parents are responsible for the material checked out until it is returned to the library.
- Students are allowed to check out 2 library books.
- If a student has an overdue book, they are not allowed to check out any further items until the overdue item is returned. Prompt attention to overdue notices is important.
- The cost for lost or damaged must be paid before further items can be checked out.
- Students are allowed to renew a book, if there is not a wait list, but it must be returned to the library to do so. Books not returned will be considered overdue.
- Students may request a book that is already checked out by another student. A hold will be placed on the book and the student will be notified when the book is available.
- These rules have been explained to the students but if parents have any questions, please let me know.
Thank you for your cooperation.
The Harbor View Library
Overdue, Lost, and, Damaged Books
Library Procedures & Overdue Book Policy:
Students can check out 2 books at a time, students who have overdue materials may not check out materials until the overdue materials are returned. There are no exceptions to this policy. If they are not finished with a book by their items due date, they may bring it in to be renewed. We do not charge late fees like the public library, but any lost or damaged books must be paid for in full.
Students are reminded of overdue items when they come to the library and overdue notices are sent out on a routine basis. Students will be obligated to pay for lost or damaged materials by the end of the school year. This information is printed on overdue notices and can be shared with students or parents when needed. Students are asked to always inspect their books before checking out in order to avoid being charged for someone else’s damage. When the student knows that a library book has been damaged while in his/her care, he/she is to tell Miss Melissa as soon as possible.
All books are checked out for one week. Items may be renewed, unless there is a waiting list for popular titles.
1st through 6th grade may check out two books at a time.
Every effort is made to help your child select books that are both interesting to them and on an appropriate level for their age. However, only you can ultimately decide what is appropriate for your child. If your child comes home with a book that you feel is inappropriate for them, please send the book back to the library and they may check out a different book. You may contact me at email@example.com and I will do my best to ensure that your child follows your preferences in selecting reading materials.
Reference materials are to be used by students in the library media center. Teachers may check out reference materials for use in the classroom when needed.